The City of

Historic Buildings

Visitor Attractions
Villages and

Prehistoric Sites

Map & satellite


Anchorite's Cell
Bear and Billet
Bishop Lloyd's

Bonewaldesthorne's Tower
Chester Castle
Chester Cathedral
Chester Zoo
City Walls
Cowper House
Dewa Roman

Falcon Inn
Grosvenor Museum
Grosvenor Park
History of Chester
King Charles' Tower
Leche House
Minerva's Shrine
Old Dee Bridge
Pemberton's Parlour
Roman Amphitheatre
Roman Chester
Roman Gardens
Stanley Palace
St. John's Church
Ruins of St. John's
The Rows
Three Old Arches
Tudor House
Water Tower

Bishop Lloyd's Palace

Bishop Lloyd's Palace Bishop Lloyd's Palace, otherwise known as Bishop Lloyd's House is located at 41 Watergate Street, and 51/53 Watergate Row. The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner considered it to be "perhaps the best" house in Chester and It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building.

There are shops on the ground floor level of the building and at the level of the row. The house above is open free of charge to visitors at advertised times. It has two large meeting rooms which are available to hire. The building also contains the headquarters of the Chester Civic Trust.

The half timbered house originated as two town houses which were constructed over medieval undercrofts. During the seventeenth century the two existing buildings were converted into one. The rebuilt house broke with the medieval fashion of having the main residential accommodation in a great hall at the row level; instead the principal living accommodation was in two "elegant chambers" in the floor above the row.

The house has associations with the Welshman George Lloyd, who was Bishop of Chester from 1605 to 1615, Bishop Lloyd was educated at the Cathedral Grammar School in Chester, he died in 1615 and was buried in the Choir of Chester Cathedral.

By the onset of the nineteenth century the building had deteriorated, the carvings on its frontage had been covered with plaster, the house had been split into tenements and was in a very neglected state. It was heavily restored by Thomas Lockwood in the 1890's. The east house was refronted to match the west house and a flight of steps from the street to the level of the row on the east side was added. The 18th-century sash windows were replaced with more suitable mullioned windows with decorative leaded glazing.

Back to the Chester Menu