Brereton Heath Country Park
OS Grid ref:-
Brereton Heath Country Park, a 40-hectare park which is a winner of the Green Flag award, is situated on Davenport Lane, Brereton, just south of the A54, mid-way between Holmes Chapel and Congleton.
The country park once formed part of the Brereton Hall Estate, once owned by the aristocratic Brereton family, the hall was built in 1586, although the manor of Bretune is listed in Domesday Book.
The country park has over 50 acres of mainly silver birch and oak woodland, with two new ponds in the woodland area providing habitats for a wide variety of wildlife. the 15 acre lake has sandy beaches, there are also areas of heathland, a wildflower meadow and wetland areas.
Until 1959 the poor sandy soil supported a woodland plantation and heath vegetation which was managed for timber and game. Then a very fine and pure silica sand was discovered and this was extracted and used in the manufacture of moulds, glass, talcum and cleaning powders. The lake is formed from the quarry left after the extraction.
There is a wealth of bird life at the country park, particularly in the woodland, including Great and Lesser spotted woodpeckers, nuthatch, treecreepers, kingfisher, heron, great crested grebe and goldfinch. The reserve offers a variety of walks, including an easy access trail through the woodland and the the ‘Brimstone Trail’ lakeside route. The Brimstone Trail an easy access trail through the woods and around the lake, with wooden sculptures along the way.
Brereton Heath has a visitor centre, which includes a visitor information room, toilets, and changing rooms for lake users. There is also an orienteering course, maps are available from the Rangers at a small cost.
The park connects to the Dane Valley Way long distance footpath.