OS Grid ref:- SK528767
The small village of Whitwell is situated in the north east corner of Derbyshire, near to where the three counties of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire meet.
An ancient settlement, the earliest written references to the village are found in Anglo-Saxon charters, however many of its historical sites pre-date this period. Within the area of the village are several Iron Age burial mounds, an Iron Age fort and settlement, the remains of a Roman villa, medieval field systems, the nearby world heritage site of Creswell Crags was until recently within the Parish.
The village church of St Lawrence dates back to 1150, its font dates back to Saxon times.The building contains a memorial to Sir Roger Manners who died in 1632 and once lived at Whitwell manor. A ruined, ivy-clad Saxon church is situated at the nearby village of Steetley.
Whitwell Old Hall dates back to the early seventeenth century and is a Grade II listed building. The manor of Whitwell was purchased in the sixteenth century by Sir John Manners of Haddon Hall, who was High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1585 and rebuilt the old manor house. Although extended and altered in later centuries the hall still retains much of its seventeenth century appearance.
The well situated in the Square, with its pump, and another on the green, once supplied the village with its drinking water.
Whitwell Wood which once formed part of historic Sherwood Forest, covers an area of 440 acres. The main trees are sycamore,beech and fir. The famous Three Shires Oak in the wood is situated at a point where the county borders of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, and Yorkshire meet. Wild flowers to be found there orchids, columbine,primrose, violet and dog daisy. Ginny Spring is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) it has been designated for its rich flora including some species rare in Derbyshire.
Recently discovered workings in the wood are evidence of a Roman town which is the first sign of occupation of the area.
Nearby Places of Interest
Creswell Crags a picturesque ravine flanked by limestone cliffs and is situated near the village of Creswell on the Derbyshire border with Nottinghamshire. The cliffs of the ravine contain several caves that were occupied by hominids during the last ice age, between around 43,000 and 10,000 years ago.
Bolsover Castle, founded in the twelfth century by the Peverel family as a large motte and bailey castle.