Throwley Old Hall
OS grid ref:-SK1152
Throwley Old Hall stands on a hill overlooking the beautiful Manifold Valley, a large medieval manor house, it is now sadly in ruins, in the area around the hall are traces of a deserted medieval village.
One of the most imposing and architecturally important ruins in the Peak District National Park, it was originally part of the east wing of a much larger hall.
Mentioned in 'Baronial Halls of England', by Samuel Carter Hall, as 'Home of the Meverells, a very ancient house of decent gentlemen of goodly living, equalling the best sort of gentlemen in the Shire'. Throwley Hall was first recorded in 1203, when Oliver de Meverell settled there. The Meverell family and their descendants remained in ownership of the hall until the mid seventeenth century. Elizabeth, the last of the Meverells, married Thomas Cromwell (c1485 –1540), Henry VIII's able if ruthless chief minister, famous for the part he played in the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
Throwley Hall passed to Charles Cotton, friend of Issak Walton, on his marriage to Mary, the widow of Wingfield Cromwell. Later the hall came into the ownership of Edward Southwell, the last Baron de Clifford, who sold it to Sir Samuel Crompton in 1790. It then became the seat of the Earl of Cathcart for many years, Earl Cathcart demolished the Great Hall and most of the building in 1830, after which the remaining part fell into disrepair.
The hall is currently in the care of English Heritage.