OS Grid ref:-
The small, scattered village of Raby is located at the south-central part of the Wirral Peninsula, very close to the Cheshire county boundary. The village is a remnant of unspoilt Wirral and lies in an Area of Special Landscape Value, a protective designation to preserve the character and appearance of the area.
The village's name, in common with many place names on the Wirral, is of Viking origin, and derives from the Old Norse Ra-byr, which translates as 'boundary settlement'. Most likely because in the tenth century it lay close to the boundary between the Viking colony in Wirral to the north and the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia to the south.
At the time of the Doomsday survey, Raby was divided into two parts, one of which was held by the Abbey of St. Werburgh, the other by William, the Norman baron of Halton, near Widnes. The whole of the village became the property of the abbey at some point before 1135. There was a monastic settlement at Raby and at nearby Thornton Grange.
The half timbered Wheatsheaf Inn, locally known as "The Thatch", dates back to 1611, is probably the oldest inn on the Wirral and offers very good home made meals, olde worlde charm and Inglenook fire places . The pub is owned by the Leverhulme Estate, which owns much land locally. The 1611 datestone is said to have been discoverd in the gable during alteration.
Nearby places of interest
Raby Mere, a local beauty spot, lies about 3 miles to the east.
Eastham Country Park is situated on the banks of the River Mersey, the park covers a hundred acres and contains some of the finest mature trees to be found on the Wirral. The park offers excellent views across the estuary and the cliffs at provide superb sites for viewing the flocks of waders and ducks on the estuary. Much of the Estuary is now designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Ness Gardens Spectacular Ness Botanic Gardens on the Wirral peninsula cover 64 acres. The gardens occupy a pleasant position overlooking the Dee estuary.