The City of

Historic Buildings

Visitor Attractions
Villages and

Prehistoric Sites

Map & satellite

Navio Roman Fort

OS Grid ref:- SK1782

Navio Roman Fort is situated on a bluff overlooking the confluence of the River Noe to the west of the small hamlet of Brough in the Hope Valley.

The name translates as 'on the river'.The name Noe, is Celtic, and means 'flow'.

The first timber fort to occupy the site was constructed in 73 A.D. by the Roman Governor Agricola, some thirty years after the Roman conquest of England, and was one of a line of forts in the area.

Navio stood at the junction of three Roman roads. The first fort was later abandoned, but was rebuilt from stone by the First Cohort of Aquitainians in 158 A.D. the new fort had a six foot high stone wall which was probably backed by an earthen rampart. Re-building was possibly in response to a revolt by the Brigantes, a Celtic tribe who then occupied the area.

The fort is rectangular in shape and covers an area of 2¼ acres. It consists of an earthwork and buried remains as well as part of its associated vicus or civilian settlement. As late as 1761 it is reported that an inner building and a double row of gritstone pillars were still standing, sadly the stones were later demolished and large numbers were taken away.

Inscribed stones found at the fort are now on display at Buxton Museum. In 1903, two altar stones were excavated at the fort, after numerous small finds of coins, lead ore, grinding querns and shards of pottery.

A walk to Navio Roman Fort from Hope

Back to Historic Buildings