Judges Lodgings, Lancaster
OS Grid ref:- SD475619
The Judges Lodgings is situated in Castle Street, Lancaster.
The building is the oldest existing town house in Lancaster and was originally the home of Thomas Covell, Mayor of Lancaster and Keeper of Lancaster Castle during the Pendle witch trials of 1612 and a notorious witch hunter. Between 1776 and 1975 the houseserved as a residence for judges visiting the Assize Court at nearby Lancaster Castle.
The building dates back to around 1625 and now serves as a museum housing a collection of Waring and Gillow furniture, porcelain, silver and paintings which are displayed in impressive Regency period room settings. It is also home to the interesting Museum of Childhood which exhibits toys and games from the eighteenth century to the present.
Exit the M6 at Junction 34 and follow signs for Lancaster. Join the one way system (Caton Road) and pass a small retail park on the left on the approach to traffic lights. Turn left following signs for Lancaster City Centre.