Grappenhall Heys Walled Garden
Grappenhall Heys Walled Garden was created in the early ninteenth century for the neighbouring house of Grappenhall Heys, to produce food and flowers for the house and as a pleasure ground. The Estate was founded by Thomas Parr around 1830. Thomas was born in 1792 into an old-established Lancashire family with banking interests in Warrington. The estate was broken up in the 1950s and the house, which had fallen into disrepair, was demolished in 1975. English Partnerships carried out extensive refurbishment works to reclaim the garden, which had become neglected.
One of the ponds and the herbacous border
Over recent years the Garden has been extensively restored, and it is now starting the latest phase of its life under the ownership of Grappenhall and Thelwall Parish Council. The Walled Garden today reflects the different ages and influences which have shaped it over almost 200 years, from the mature trees and early Victorian boundary walls to modern ironwork and paths.
Common Blue Damselfly in the garden and the Vegetable Garden
The garden is situated on Witherwin Avenue, near the roundabout on Lumb Brook Road. Parking is available in the public car park on Stansfield Drive and there are toilet facilities on site.
Regular events are already held at weekends and refreshments are served every Sunday throughout the summer months. Entrance to the garden is free.