OS Grid ref:- SD465525
The small village of Cockerham is situated 6 miles (9.7 km) south of Lancaster and 15 miles (24 km) north-northwest of Preston, the village is located situated in picturesque countryside on the River Cocker, at the estuary of the River Lune. The name means “village by the winding river”.
The village has a pub, the Manor Inn, an excellent restaurant, farm shop and ice cream outlet. The name of Lathwaite Farm, one of several old farms in the area, has Viking roots: lath meaning "farm" and waite meaning "barn".
Cockerham Marsh is located to the west of the Cockerham Channel and is a designated SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) famed for its population of natterjack toads. It is a favoured location for those who enjoy a wide range of outdoor activities in the surrounding countryside with its network of paths and bridleways and is within easy reach of the Lune Estuary.
Cockersand Lighthouse (above left) was built in 1847 to indicate the deep water channel of River Lune and safe passage to Glasson dock. Over time the Lune channel has moved, the lighthouse was dismantled about 1954
The oldest surviving part of the village church of St. Michael's is the tower, which dates from the sixteenth century. The stained glass in the east window was made by Morris & Co. and depicts the Four Evangelists. The original parish church was in the middle of the village but was resited on higher ground due to frequent flooding.
Close by are the remains of Cockersand Abbey (pictured right) . The abbey was founded before 1184 as the Hospital of St Mary on the marsh belonging to Leicester Abbey and known as St Marys in the Marsh.
The abbey was refounded by the Cambro-Norman magnate, Theobald Walter, 1st Baron Butler, as a Premonstratensian priory. It was subsequently elevated to an abbey in 1192. It also continued as a hospital. The abbey was dissolved in 1539 and acquired by a John Kitchen. The site is now adjacent to a farm house and the only significant relic is the still intact, vaulted chapter house which was built in 1230 and used as a family mausoleum by the Daltons of Thurnham Hall during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. There are some remains of the church adjacent.
Cockerham has many public footpaths which are popular with ramblers.
Nearby places of interest
Lancaster Castle founded in the tenth century
Ashton Memorial in Williamson Park, Lancaster was commissioned by James Williamson, Baron Ashton as a tribute to his second wife, Jenny and was built between 1907 and 1909.
Butterfly House, Lancaster