OS Grid ref:- SJ 498 741
The small village of Alvanley is situated near to Helsby. The village lies on the Sandstone Trail, a 55-kilometre (34 miles) long-distance walkers' path, which runs from the ancient market town of Frodsham , passing rocky outcrops, woodlands, castles and historic churches through to Whitchurch which lies just across the Shropshire border.
Left- the Sandstone Trail at Alvanley and right- Austerson Old Hall
Austerson Old Hall, situated on the Sandstone Trail at Alvanley is an Elizabethan timber framed building which was moved from Austerson, a hamlet near Nantwich, and reassembled at Alvanley between 1974 and 1986 by Jim Brotherhood, a local architect.
Alvanley Hall is situated to the southeast of the village. The hall dates from various periods, and dates mainly from the seventeenth century, although some parts are of an earlier date. There is a large early medieval column in the undercroft.
The red sandstone village church of St John the Evangelist was built in 1860 to a design by J. S. Crowther at the expense of Catherine Emma Arden, the youngest daughter of Richard Arden, 1st Baron Alvanley.
Nearby places of interest
Helsby Hill stands 370 feet (110 metres) above sea level, a prominent landmark rising above the Cheshire Plain, it looks out over the marshes and the River Mersey.
Ince Manor a former monastic grange, is one of only two surviving monastic manorial buildings in Cheshire.
Delamere Forest owned by the Forestry Commision. The forest is all that remains of the great Norman hunting forest of Mara and Mondrum, which once covered much of Cheshire.